Landlords – what you need to know about evictions

30th April 2019

Please note: Eviction rules are temporarily different due to government measures for Covid-19. Please consult our landlord FAQs for more details.

Covid-19 Landlord FAQs

How do I evict a tenant who is behind in their rent?

A landlord is required to serve a notice to quit on the tenants. If the tenants are behind on rent you can serve a section 8 notice requiring that the tenant leaves the property within 14 days.

However, if the tenancy is still within the fixed term you should check the tenancy agreement to ensure that there is a provision in the agreement allowing you to ask for the property back, pursuant to serving a section 8 notice.

If a tenant refuses to leave – what are my next steps?

If the tenant does not leave the property you will need to apply for a possession order from the court. Should the tenant remain in the property following the grant of the order, an application for warrant for possession of land will need to be made and, ultimately, bailiffs may need to be appointed to remove the tenants should they still refuse to leave.

In certain circumstances, it may be more appropriate to serve a section 21 notice. You should seek legal advice before issuing a notice as failure to comply with the strict statutory requirements will likely result in possession not being granted.

Can I evict a tenant on the basis of behaviour problem?

If the tenant – or anyone living with or visiting the tenant – is guilty of conduct which has caused a nuisance or annoyance to neighbours the landlord may be able to seek possession pursuant to section 8. However, possession is not guaranteed.

If it is a periodic tenancy, the landlord could serve a section 21 notice instead. Unlike section 8, section 21 does not require any grounds for possession and the landlord is usually guaranteed to gain possession of the property.

I wish to sell or use the property but the tenant is still within their lease period – can I evict them before the end of the term?

You will have to wait until the fixed term ends. You may be able to serve a section 21 notice but it cannot expire before the end of the fixed term of the tenancy.

The tenant has made improvements to the property – do I need to compensate them for the costs if I plan to evict them?

This will depend on the term so the tenancy agreement. Generally, there is no obligation to compensate the tenants for unauthorised work.

My tenant is insisting on me taking them to court to evict them as this will help them being re-housed by the local authority – is this true and is there anything I can do to avoid going to court?

Some councils do advise the tenants to stay in the property. Unless the tenant moves out voluntarily the only lawful way to secure possession of the property is to take the tenants to court.

I have legal expenses insurance with my landlord policy – can I use this to help me evict a tenant?

The insurance may cover possession proceedings; it is certainly worth checking with the insurer directly.

How much do I have to spend on legal fees?

The current court fees are:

  • County Court possessions – £355
  • Possession Claims Online (PCOL) – £325 (PCOL can only be used for possessions concerning rent or mortgage arrears).
  • To issue a warrant of possession (recovery of a property or land) – £121

Solicitor’s fees vary, so you would need to seek a quote from a solicitor, or seek the support of any legal expenses insurer in relation to legal fees.

Disclaimer: This information is for general guidance regarding rights and responsibilities and is not formal legal advice as no lawyer-client relationship has been created. Note that the information was accurate at the time of publication but laws may have since changed.

Simon Roberts

Senior Associate, Solicitor

Learn more
Private renting and tenancy

If you are renting a home from someone else, it's important to be aware of your rights and responsibilities as a tenant and what the law says about how your landlord must act.

April 2018 Learn more
Landlord advice

If you’re considering renting out your property, you should be up to date on all the rules and regulations involved.

April 2018 Learn more

Read more from the DAS Law blog

Property disputes 6 things landlords need to know about anti-social behaviour

The government has issued updates to the recent rule changes for repossession in cases of anti-social behaviour / nuisance. Molly-Ellen Turecek tells you what you need to know.

October 2020
Property disputes Struggling to pay your rent? Here’s what you need to know

An estimated 2.6 million tenants are expected to fall behind on rent payments because of the pandemic.

September 2020
Property disputes What landlords need to know about the government’s ‘pre-action protocol’

The courts are due to open again on 23 August. When they do, there will be a new ‘pre-action protocol’ for landlords to comply with.

July 2020
Property disputes Property boundaries – how disputes can tip neighbours over the edge

When it comes property boundaries and pruning hedges, neighbourly niggles can occur.

May 2020
General advice , Property disputes Ho-ho-home invasion: is Father Christmas trespassing?

When he enters your home, is Father Christmas actually trespassing? If he does so without your expressed permission, could he be prosecuted?

December 2019
Property disputes 6 things you should know before having a Bonfire Night party

Who is responsible if someone gets hit by a firework at a party? Are there restrictions on when you can have a bonfire? We set out some essentials you need to know.

November 2019
General advice , Property disputes How far you can legally go to stop people from playing a ‘trick’ on you this Halloween

Halloween is generally a ‘spooktacular’ time for all but a few bad apples can spoil the fun. So what can you do if someone chooses to play a trick and damages your property?

October 2019
Professional services disputes , Property disputes How to take action over low-quality building work

What action can you take when you have a building dispute with a rogue trader? DAS Law’s Bethan Mack takes a look at some important basics.

October 2019
Property disputes Restrictive covenants and where to find them

A restrictive covenant refers to a limitation to what an owner can legally do with their property.

October 2019
Property disputes , Animals Cock-a-doodle…don’t? What the law says about perturbing pets

So where does UK law stand with noisy pets? Damien Field, Legal Adviser at DAS Law explains all.

September 2019
Property disputes , Animals What can you do when a flatmate turns into flat hate?

How to deal with housemate drama? Nicole Rogers, legal adviser at DAS Law, tells prospective flatmates what they need to know.

September 2019
Property disputes What you can do if someone parks outside your home and goes on holiday

Hannah Parsons looks at what you need to know if people are blocking your driveway for weeks on end.

July 2019
Property disputes Things you need to notice about the Tenant Fees Act 2019

The Tenant Fees Act 2019 will bring in controls around the fees paid by tenants in the private rental sector and a cap on tenancy deposits. Keira Brown takes a look at the key changes.

May 2019