Neighbour noise complaints

10th March 2018
Informal discussion

The first step in attempting to deal with a neighbour who produces excessive noise is to discuss it informally with them. They may be unaware that the noise from their house is disturbing others, or there may be a reason for the noise of which you were not aware.

If you are concerned about approaching them for any reason, you may wish to instead put a letter through their door letting them know about your concerns. A letter is also useful because it sets out in writing that you have a problem with your neighbour’s behaviour, which can be useful if the problem goes further in future.

As with approaching your neighbour face-to-face, you should try to be friendly in the letter. However, you may want to leave your name off the letter if you’re worried about how they might react.

If you know that other people nearby are also bothered by the noise, you may wish to try and talk to the noisy neighbour in a group, or write a letter to which you all sign your names, in order to let the neighbour know that it is not just one person who has an issue with their behaviour.

Note down what the noises are, when they occur, how long they last, and any other relevant information about the circumstances.

Keeping a record

If your neighbours continue to be noisy after you have approached them about it, you should start to keep a record of the problem.

Note down what the noises are, when they occur, how long they last, and any other relevant information about the circumstances.

This will help to paint a picture of the disturbances you are experiencing and how frequent and problematic they are. If you have to take any further action in the future, the record could serve as useful evidence.

Contacting the authorities

If your neighbour is a tenant, you may wish to contact their landlord with your complaints, whether they are a private landlord, a housing association or the local council.

Noise complaints can sometimes be considered a ‘statutory nuisance’. This means that the council is required to investigate any problem relating to them. If you have been keeping a record of the noise disturbances your neighbour has caused, you can let the council know about this when you contact them.

If your neighbour is found to be excessively noisy, the council is required to issue a noise abatement order, which means that there will be a legal requirement for your neighbour to stop. If they continue being noisy, they face a fine of up to £5,000.

The GOV.UK site allows you to submit a noise complaint to your local council online.

Threats and antisocial behaviour

If your neighbour has become threatening after you attempted to talk to them about excessive noise, or if the noise is accompanied by further antisocial behaviour, read our advice on neighbour disputes.

How to keep your private firework display legal

David Newman sheds light on the laws surrounding Bonfire Night and private firework displays.

October 2020 Learn more
Handling disputes with neighbours

We would all like to live in peace with our neighbours, but sometimes that isn’t how things work out. Here's what you can do if you are having neighbour problems.

March 2018 Learn more

Read more from the DAS Law blog

Property disputes Struggling to pay your rent? Here’s what you need to know

The eviction ban in England and Wales has now been extended to 21 February 2021, meaning that landlords are not able to legally enforce an eviction order until this time.

January 2021
Property disputes What action you can take if someone parks outside your home

Simon Roberts looks at what you need to know if people are blocking your driveway for weeks on end.

December 2020
Property disputes How to keep your private firework display legal

David Newman sheds light on the laws surrounding Bonfire Night and private firework displays.

October 2020
Property disputes 6 things landlords need to know about anti-social behaviour

The government has issued updates to the recent rule changes for repossession in cases of anti-social behaviour / nuisance. Molly-Ellen Turecek tells you what you need to know.

October 2020
Property disputes What landlords need to know about the government’s ‘pre-action protocol’

The courts are due to open again on 23 August. When they do, there will be a new ‘pre-action protocol’ for landlords to comply with.

July 2020
Property disputes Property boundaries – how disputes can tip neighbours over the edge

When it comes property boundaries and pruning hedges, neighbourly niggles can occur.

May 2020
General advice , Property disputes Ho-ho-home invasion: is Father Christmas trespassing?

When he enters your home, is Father Christmas actually trespassing? If he does so without your expressed permission, could he be prosecuted?

December 2019
General advice , Property disputes How far you can legally go to stop people from playing a ‘trick’ on you this Halloween

Halloween is generally a ‘spooktacular’ time for all but a few bad apples can spoil the fun. So what can you do if someone chooses to play a trick and damages your property?

October 2019
Professional services disputes , Property disputes How to take action over low-quality building work

What action can you take when you have a building dispute with a rogue trader? DAS Law’s Bethan Mack takes a look at some important basics.

October 2019
Property disputes Restrictive covenants and where to find them

A restrictive covenant refers to a limitation to what an owner can legally do with their property.

October 2019
Property disputes , Animals Cock-a-doodle…don’t? What the law says about perturbing pets

So where does UK law stand with noisy pets? Damien Field, Legal Adviser at DAS Law explains all.

September 2019
Property disputes , Animals What can you do when a flatmate turns into flat hate?

How to deal with housemate drama? Nicole Rogers, legal adviser at DAS Law, tells prospective flatmates what they need to know.

September 2019
Property disputes Things you need to notice about the Tenant Fees Act 2019

The Tenant Fees Act 2019 will bring in controls around the fees paid by tenants in the private rental sector and a cap on tenancy deposits. Keira Brown takes a look at the key changes.

May 2019