What is a notice of intended prosecution?

27th April 2018

Receiving a NIP

You must be informed via a NIP before you can be charged for certain driving offences. These include:

  • Dangerous driving
  • Careless and inconsiderate driving
  • Speeding
  • Leaving a vehicle in a dangerous place
  • Failing to comply with a traffic sign.

This can be communicated verbally to you at the scene of the alleged crime, or it can be posted or served to you. If it is issued to you after the incident, it must be done within 14 days. If you do not receive it within 14 days, any prosecution may be considered invalid. If you are being charged for more than one offence, you must be issued a separate NIP for each offence.

They can be communicated verbally to you at the scene of the alleged crime, or posted or 'served' to you.


There are some exceptions to the 14-day rule. For example, if the police could not have reasonably found the information to send the NIP to you within the 14-day period, it may still be possible to prosecute you.

This is also the case if you have moved without updating your registered address. Even if the NIP goes to your old address and you don’t receive it, this would probably be enough to prosecute you.

Also, there is some extra leeway if you didn’t own the car – for example, if it is a hired car, or you borrowed it. The NIP has to be sent to the registered ‘keeper’ of the vehicle, so even if you were not aware of the NIP, it could be valid if the owner received it.

You will also not receive a NIP if you were involved in an accident – in this case, your knowledge that there was an accident is considered notification that an offence was committed. If you were not aware you were involved in an accident (for example, if you bumped a parked car without noticing) a NIP would be required.

Returning the NIP

When you receive the NIP, you will be expected to specify who was driving the vehicle, then sign and return it within 28 days. It is advisable that you do so, unless you do not know who was driving the car at the time – for example, if you sold the car but it is still registered to you.

If someone else was driving, you must still complete the form and identify them – you can’t just give it to them to fill out.

The police do not need to prove that a crime was committed to send out a NIP, and previous challenges to the NIP have established that signing and returning the NIP does not force the driver to unfairly incriminate him or herself. This means that you should always return the NIP, even if you don’t think you have done anything wrong.

Failing to return the NIP is likely to be interpreted as failing to provide driver information, an offence which can result in 6 penalty points and a fine of up to £1,000. This could be a more severe penalty than if you were found guilty of the original offence.

If you only received a verbal NIP, the burden of proof is on the police and CPS to prove that it was issued – if the officer cannot prove that he or she gave you a NIP on the scene, they would not be able to prosecute you.

What if the NIP has errors on it?

Minor errors, such as spelling mistakes or grammatical errors, can be fixed – you could be sent a replacement NIP, or they could be fixed in court papers if the case goes to court. This is due to something called the Slip Rule.

However, the Slip Rule can’t be used to make major changes – for example, it couldn’t be used to change the charge on the NIP.

What happens next

Once the NIP has been returned and the driver identified, the police have 6 months to progress the case further, usually by issuing a fixed penalty notice or a court summons. Alternatively, they may decide to take no action.

Once the 6 months has passed, it will be too late for the police to bring any charges against you.

What is careless driving?

Driving with undue care and attention for other road users and pedestrians can result in penalty points, or worse a disqualification.

April 2018 Learn more
What to do if caught drink driving

If you have been caught drink driving, we have all the information you need to reduce your fine and protect your licence.

April 2018 Learn more

Read more from the DAS Law blog

General advice , Employment disputes Be on your best behaviour at your work Christmas party

A party that is being held outside the workplace should still be treated as an extension of the office.

December 2021
General advice , Property disputes How far you can legally go to stop people from playing a ‘trick’ on you this Halloween

Halloween is generally a ‘spooktacular’ time for all but a few bad apples can spoil the fun. So what can you do if someone chooses to play a trick and damages your property?

October 2021
General advice , Property disputes Everybody needs good neighbours. But what can be done if someone refuses to be neighbourly?

What happens when a neighbour’s plant is growing across onto your property? And what can be done if a neighbour’s tree is blocking the light into your garden?

May 2021
General advice , Protecting your business 5 things you need to know about missing the 31 January self-assessment deadline

With 31 January deadline fast approaching, there are just ten days left for the UK’s 5.4m taxpayers to submit their Self-Assessment tax returnss. What can you do if you miss the deadline?

January 2021
General advice NHS Covid-19 Test and Trace App: What happens to our personal data?

Legal adviser Chloe Williams explains how much we know about how the app works and what happens to the personal information we share.

November 2020
General advice University tuition fees and accommodation costs in a Covid-19 world

Universities have switched to online lectures and some campuses are imposing strict social distancing measures – what rights do students have?

September 2020
Road traffic accidents , General advice What the new rules have to say if you are planning to ride your own e-scooter

E-scooters may have become commonplace on our streets over the last few years but technically they are illegal…that is until now, sort of. But what do owners and riders need to know?

July 2020
General advice , Motorcycling What you should know about cycling laws

Where does the law stand on helmets, safety cameras and cycling offences? Chloe Williams, Legal Adviser from DAS Law, has the answers.

June 2020
General advice The law and the right to peaceful protest

The right to peaceful protest in the UK is expressly guaranteed under European Convention of Human Rights (ECHR). But how does that translate into our law? What is the current UK law on protesting?

June 2020
General advice , Motorcycling What you need to know about seat belts and car seats

What is the current law on wearing seatbelts? DAS Law’s Molly-Ellen Turecek explains.

February 2020
General advice , Property disputes Ho-ho-home invasion: is Father Christmas trespassing?

When he enters your home, is Father Christmas actually trespassing? If he does so without your expressed permission, could he be prosecuted?

December 2019
General advice , Protecting your business , Commercial disputes Understanding the definition of defamation

Defamation can be a complex area of the law but this simple guide from DAS Law’s Damien Field will hopefully help you to understand it a little more clearly.

November 2019
General advice , Protecting your business , Commercial disputes Libel and slander – the distinction in defamation

Defamation is the expression of an untrue insinuation against a person’s reputation. But what is the current law on defamation? DAS Law’s Saiful Ahmed explains.

November 2019