Guide to making a small claims court claim

6th June 2018
Filling in the N1 form

To begin your claim you will need to fill out a claim form (N1), which can be downloaded for free here.

On the form you will need to give details of both the claimant and defendant, the nature of the claim and its value.

In the box labelled ‘particulars of claim’ you should describe in detail the claim you are making. If you find there is not enough room then you can continue on another piece of paper which can be attached to the form.

At any rate, if you do find yourself short of space then your case is likely to be fairly complicated in nature, and in these cases we would recommend seeking expert guidance, for example a solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Certain claims for fixed amounts of money can be initiated by using the Money Claim Online website.

Submitting the N1 form

Once you have completed the form you will need to give it to the court, either in person or by post. You must deliver two copies along with the court fees due. The fee payable will depend on the value of your claim.

After the court has received the form from you it will serve it on the defendant by mailing it to them by first class. Thereafter the defendant has the choice of whether to defend the case or not.

If the defendant does not accept that they owe you money then they must respond within 14 days of the form being served on them, which is taken to be the second day after it was posted by the court. If a response is not forthcoming within the deadline then the court will be able to impose an order on the defendant, known as a default judgment.

Once the court has learnt of the defendant’s decision and allocated the case to the small claims track (for money claims valued at £10,000 or less), both parties will be sent a notice of allocation, which gives information on what needs to be done in order to prepare for the hearing.

The notice of allocation will include ‘directions’ which must be adhered to, otherwise you may risk the case being postponed and having to pay the costs regardless.

Hearing or no hearing

In most cases a date will be set for your case’s hearing at the allocation stage, but sometimes the court will not decide to set a time for a hearing. The case can be dealt with without a hearing (providing neither party objects), or it may be decide that a preliminary hearing should be held first. This could be because:

  • There are additional complicated directions that the judge wants to explain in person; or
  • The judge feels one party has little chance of success and wants to nip the case in the bud to prevent time being wasted.
Final hearing

A hearing in the small claims court will be less formal than other court cases and rules are therefore not as strict. The judge has the flexibility to carry out the hearing in the way which he feels is most convenient.

When the judge has made a decision the judge will announce it and give his reasons in a concise manner.

If you win the case then you will get the amount you claimed along with any court fees. However, if you lose, you will have to pay the court fees.

Post-hearing – appeals and enforcement

If you wish to appeal a decision made in the small claims court, then you must file a notice of appeal within 21 days of the decision being announced. Note however that appeals will only be successful if a mistake has been made in the application of the law or there were serious irregularities in the hearing.

If you submit an appeal you must pay a fee, unless you are in financial hardship.

If the court has made a decision that money should be paid by one party to the other and the defendant does not comply, the claimant must return to the court to apply for an enforcement order.

How to recover bad debts from customers

Overdue debts can cause serious cash-flow issues for your business.

June 2018 Learn more
Claiming compensation for reputation defamation

Individuals who believe they have been defamed by someone else can sue for compensation.

April 2018 Learn more
When home improvements go wrong

When home improvements are badly done, there are a number of ways to get things set right.

April 2018 Learn more

Read more from the DAS Law blog

Employment disputes , Goods and services disputes , Professional services disputes Is the customer always right when it comes to alcohol and pregnancy?

A recent Reddit post sparked debate on personal accountability and the rights of serving staff when it comes to alcohol. Larna Mason explains what the law says.

August 2019
Personal injury , Professional services disputes What to do if your dream makeover turns into a nightmare

What rights do you have if you don’t like your new hair style? Do you still have to pay if you didn’t give you the look you wanted?

June 2019
Protecting your business , Commercial disputes Who to contact when your business is defrauded

William Ellerton shares some general advice on the first things a business should do if they believe they have been defrauded.

January 2019
Protecting your business , Commercial disputes Legal advice for dealing with difficult hair and makeup clients this Christmas

Sarah Garner, a solicitor at DAS Law, provides all the information any person working in the beauty industry needs to know.

December 2018
Commercial disputes How to recover bad debts from customers

Overdue debts can cause serious cash-flow issues for your business.

June 2018
Professional services disputes , Commercial disputes Guide to making a small claims court claim

Our guide through the process of making a claim in the small claims court, from the issuing of the N1 claim form to the appeal and enforcement.

June 2018
General advice , Protecting your business , Commercial disputes Defending against defamation claims

If you have been accused of defamation then you will have to prove that your comments do not amount to defamation in the eyes of the law, and there are several ways of accomplishing this

April 2018
General advice , Professional services disputes Educational negligence claims

In legal terms to establish a case of educational negligence, the claimant must be able to prove three conditions.

April 2018
Professional services disputes , Property disputes When home improvements go wrong

When home improvements are badly done, there are a number of ways to get things set right.

April 2018