Renting Homes (Wales) Act – What do landlords need to know

The Renting Homes (Wales) Act amendments simplifies how you rent properties. Here are the key changes for landlords.

16th January 2023

There are two types of landlords under this act: 

  • Community landlords (primarily local authorities and registered social landlords); and
  • Private landlords (all other landlords).

Tenants and licensees are called ‘contract-holders’ under the act. Contract-holders now have an ‘occupation contract’ (which replaces tenancy and licence arrangements).

There are two types of occupation contract:

  • Secure contract: For use by community landlords.
  • Standard contract: This is the default contract for the private rented sector (PRS), but can be by local authorities and RSLs in certain circumstances (e.g. a ‘Supported standard contract’ within supported accommodation).

Phoebe Callendar, Senior Legal Advisor at DAS Law, offers guidance on the issues and questions landlords should consider when renting to friends and family.

When will the new law apply?

The Renting Home Wales Act 2016 came into force for all tenancies and licenses in Wales on the 1st December 2022.

All tenants in Wales are known as ‘contract holders’.

What happens to existing tenancies after December?

For existing tenancies, you have until 1st June 2023 to issue a new occupation contract to your tenants. After this date, all existing tenancy agreements will require an ‘occupation contract’ to be in place.

If your tenancy agreement doesn’t expire until after 1st June, you have until that date to convert the tenancy to a new occupation contract, see additional guidance ate

What will happen if I don’t give the written terms?

Since 1st December 2022, all new tenants must have written terms within 14 days of a new occupation contract being agreed otherwise the contract holder (tenant) can withhold rent up to a maximum of 2 months.

What is FFHH?

FFHH stands for Fitness For Human Habitation – this means that a Landlord is responsible for ensuring the property is free from defect and disrepair during the lifetime of the agreement.

Is damp or mould a consideration for FFHH?

Damp or mould in a property would mean that the property wouldn’t reach the standard expected for FFHH. It would mean that you have to promptly carry out all the necessary repairs to remove the issue.

There are 29 matters that determine if a property falls under the definition of FFHH, a list of them and how to rectify the issues can be found in the government guidance.

What happens if the contract holder makes a complaint about the property?

If the contract holder makes a complaint about a repair or a defect in the property, and you fail to remedy the issues, the contract holder can withhold rent until the works have been completed. It will also prevent a landlord from serving notice for 6 months as this is seen as a retaliatory eviction.

Has the law changed in relation to smoke or carbon monoxide alarms?

Since the 1st of December all rented properties in Wales must have a working carbon monoxide alarm in every room where there is a gas / oil burning appliance.

For new occupation contracts a landlord has to ensure there is a working smoke alarm connected to the mains on every floor. If you have a tenant already in the property you have until 1st December 2023

Has the law changed in relation to electrical safety?

Yes the law has changed and you must now have a valid Electrical Service Installation Certificate, which will need to be completed every 5 years. This applied to new occupation contracts entered into after the 1st December 2022 but existing agreements will have until 1st December 2023.

If you have an existing agreement with an Electrical Installation Report this will not be compliant with the new law and a landlord will be required to obtain a new Electrical Service Installation Certificate.

How do I evict my tenant under the new law?

The process is very similar to the old laws and there are still non fault notices similar to a section 21 notice and fault notices similar to section 8 notices.

Non-fault notice

If you are in a fixed term standard occupation contract then a landlord can only serve notice before the end of the fixed term if there is a break clause within the contract allowing you to do so. Otherwise, notice can be served at the end of the fixed term  giving the contract holder 6 months’ notice – using Form RHW22

If you are in a periodic occupation contract then the landlord can serve a s.173 notice on Form RHW16 giving 6 months’ notice.

Fault Based Notice
  • Breach of contract a landlord can serve a s.157 notice giving 1 month notice of Form RHW23
  • Estate management (redevelopment of the property) a landlord can serve a s.160 notice giving 1 month notice to the contract holder on Form RHW20
  • Serious Rent Arrears of at least 2 months or more a landlord can serve notice giving 14 days’ notice under Form RHW20

Please seek legal advice before serving any notice as there are conditions the landlord must meet to ensure the notice is valid.

I have already served notice to the tenant will this still be valid?

If a landlord has already served a s.21 notice prior to the 1st December this will still be valid but you must go to court within 2 months of it expiring for a possession order

Can my tenant add a new contract holder (tenant) to an existing agreement?

A contract-holder may add another person to be a joint contract-holder under their contract, with the landlord’s consent but a landlord cannot unreasonably refuse. If a landlord is not happy with the person, the contract holder is looking to add to the occupation contract they should seek legal advice on what grounds would be reasonable under Schedule 2 of the Renting Homes Wales Act 2016.

What should I do next?

Whether you’re a landlord or a tenant it is important you know what the changes mean for you.

Guidance for tenants Guidance for landlords

Disclaimer: This information is for general guidance regarding rights and responsibilities and is not formal legal advice as no lawyer-client relationship has been created. Note that the information was accurate at the time of publication but laws may have since changed.

Things you need to notice about the Tenant Fees Act 2019

The Tenant Fees Act 2019 will bring in controls around the fees paid by tenants in the private rental sector and a cap on tenancy deposits. Keira Brown takes a look at the key changes.

May 2019 Learn more
What tenants need to know about being evicted

There are a number of rules in place regarding evictions; here's what you need to know if you are being evicted or threatened with eviction.

May 2019 Learn more

Read more from the DAS Law blog

Property disputes What to do if your neighbour’s Bonfire Night party causes a nuisance

Grace Dutton sheds light on the laws surrounding Bonfire Night and private firework displays.

November 2023
General advice , Property disputes How far you can legally go to stop someone from playing a trick on you this Halloween

Halloween is generally a ‘spooktacular’ time for all but a few bad apples can spoil the fun. So what can you do if someone chooses to play a trick and damages your property?

October 2023
Property disputes How to ensure your relationship with your neighbours doesn’t become hot and bothered

Sahib Ullah Raj from DAS Law explores the various disputes between neighbours and explains the legal options available.

September 2023
Property disputes Don’t let your private hedge be a hazard to public footpaths

Charlotte Ellis at DAS Law explains how to stay on the “right side of the law” and avoid being a nuisance when it comes to your garden or driveway.

May 2023
Property disputes Airbnb and holiday lettings: What to do with the staycation boom

Bethan Mack, a solicitor at DAS Law, answers the most important questions for existing Airbnb hosts and those thinking of renting out their properties.

April 2023
Property disputes Renting Homes (Wales) Act – What do landlords need to know

The Renting Homes (Wales) Act amendments simplifies how you rent properties. Here are the key changes for landlords.

January 2023
Property disputes Building Safety Act 2022 – Who is responsible for ensuring new properties are safe?

What are the legal responsibilities of constructors and owners under the Defective Premises Act 1972? Who else can be held responsible? Corey Evans, Paralegal at DAS Law, has the answers.

August 2022
Property disputes Renting to friends and family – make sure you’re still friends by the end of the tenancy

Tom Pertaia, Associate at DAS Law, offers guidance on the issues and questions landlords should consider when renting to friends and family.

August 2022
Property disputes Section 21 notices - what the end of “no-fault evictions” could mean

The Renter’s Reform Bill was proposed to improve protection for private renters in England, including the ending of section 21 notices.

June 2022
Property disputes Struggling to pay your rent? Here’s what you need to know

The eviction ban in England and Wales has now been extended further; landlords are not able to legally enforce an eviction order until after these bans have ended.

July 2021
General advice , Property disputes Everybody needs good neighbours. But what can be done if someone refuses to be neighbourly?

What happens when a neighbour’s plant is growing across onto your property? And what can be done if a neighbour’s tree is blocking the light into your garden?

May 2021
Property disputes Landlords – what you need to know about increasing your tenant's deposit

It’s hardly surprising that landlords are considering increasing deposits to reduce their Covid-19 risk. Nevertheless, the Tenant Fee Act limits what you can do with deposits so, as a landlord, what are your options?

February 2021
Property disputes Rent guarantors – what landlords need to know

With landlords increasingly worried about securing their rent income during Covid-19 is requesting a guarantor the answer? Saiful Ahmed, Legal Adviser at DAS Law, tells you what you need to know.

February 2021