What can you do when a flatmate turns into flat hate?

September is a peak time for the rental property market with thousands of students embarking on their new life at university and looking for a property to rent.

16th September 2019

Sharing a flat is a popular way to help pay the rent but sharing a home is not always easy; with very different definitions of what ‘clean’ means, countless friends sleeping over, parties, and of course, furry friends. 

But how do you deal with a housemate drama and what are you legal rights when it comes to resolving disputes? Nicole Rodgers, solicitor at DAS Law, has the low-down on what prospective flatmates need to know…

The condition of my shared housing is so bad that it is causing me to have health issues; can I force my housemates to clean up?

The first step is really to try and have a discussion with everyone in the house about the effect this is having on your health. It is usually best to try and have a constructive round table discussion, and to avoid ganging up on a particular culprit.

If possible, you should come to a joint agreement as to how to manage the cleaning duties moving forward. If the problems persist then you may need to consider reporting these issues to your letting agent or directly to the landlord.

If the health impact is so serious to you that it is affecting your health, then you may have to involve the Environmental Health Department within your local authority.

My flatmate’s significant other is over at our flat a lot of the time it feels like they live here also. They use our utilities, food and Wi-Fi free of charge. Can I ask them to leave, and how can I enforce this?

Some allowance should be made for infrequent visitors, but if the non-tenant’s presence becomes a nuisance then it is would be best to have an initial discussion to try and resolve the issues between yourselves. If this is not possible and you have separate tenancy agreements then there is likely to be a term in your flatmate’s tenancy saying they cannot sub-let or move non-tenants into the property.

There is also usually a clause stating they should not do anything or allow any behaviour which may be construed as a nuisance to other tenants. You could then report the presence of the non-tenant to the landlord who will decide whether to take action in relation to any breach of tenancy.

My flatmate has purchased a dog, but I don’t like it and our contract states that we can’t have pets. What action can I take?

Because you have to live with this person, the best option is to try and resolve it amicably before making any complaint to the landlord about your flatmate’s breach of the tenancy agreement. If you have a joint tenancy then this means you would be jointly liable for this breach and any damage the dog causes, so your flatmate should be made aware of this.

My landlord has refused to return our deposit for damage caused by someone that no longer lives with us, what can we do?

Again this depends on whether you have a single or joint tenancy. In a single tenancy an individual deposit should have been taken from you, and as long as you abide by the terms of your tenancy and cause no damage yourself then the landlord cannot make any deduction from this deposit.

If a joint deposit has been taken then there is likely to be joint and shared responsibility for damage amongst all of the tenants, and the landlord could dispute the release of some or all of the deposit if they can show they need this money to rectify the damage.

In any cases of dispute, the deposit should have been protected in a deposit protection scheme and their dispute resolution process can be used to decide upon the fairness of any deduction.

We have received final demands for bills but I have paid my share, what can I do?

It does depend on what the bill is for (electricity, council tax etc.). However it is usually presumed in the case of shared accommodation that all tenants agree to pay an equal share of any bills for the property.

Utility companies will usually target the named bill payer first, but in theory they can pursue other tenants if they can show that the person named on the bill contracted on behalf of all the tenants.

If your name is on the bill and you cannot get the other tenants to pay up for their share, you may need pay the whole bill yourself (if possible) and try and recover their share from them via a legal route.

Before I sign a lease, how do I know if or make sure that the contract is fair?

All residential leases are governed by the various Landlord & Tenant Acts. The majority are likely to be ‘Assured Shorthold Tenancies’ (AST) which offer tenants a certain amount of security in the property.

Generally, tenants have security of tenure for the initial six months of a tenacy and the landlord cannot seek repossession within this period without grounds (e.g. failure to pay rent), and only then by serving the appropriate notice on the tenant.

Landlords also have a statutory obligation to repair the structure and utilities in the property within a reasonable time if something goes wrong. It is essential for the tenant to fully understand their obligations under the lease, and for a full inventory of the property to be completed prior to the tenant moving in, as allegations of property damage at the end of a tenancy are a common dispute in landlord and tenant relationships.

As of the 1st June 2019, landlords and letting agents are prohibited from charging tenants certain fees by the Tenant Fees Act 2019. For example, any fees which relate to the carrying out of referencing checks or administration charges are not permitted. Before paying any fees to a landlord or letting agent you should check whether they are permitted under this new legislation.

Disclaimer: This information is for general guidance regarding rights and responsibilities and is not formal legal advice as no lawyer-client relationship has been created. Note that the information was accurate at the time of publication but laws may have since changed.

Airbnb and holiday lettings: What to do with the staycation boom

Bethan Mack, a solicitor at DAS Law, answers the most important questions for existing Airbnb hosts and those thinking of renting out their properties.

April 2023 Learn more
Landlord advice

If you’re considering renting out your property, you should be up to date on all the rules and regulations involved.

April 2018 Learn more

Read more from the DAS Law blog

Property disputes What to do if your neighbour’s Bonfire Night party causes a nuisance

Grace Dutton sheds light on the laws surrounding Bonfire Night and private firework displays.

November 2023
General advice , Property disputes How far you can legally go to stop someone from playing a trick on you this Halloween

Halloween is generally a ‘spooktacular’ time for all but a few bad apples can spoil the fun. So what can you do if someone chooses to play a trick and damages your property?

October 2023
Property disputes How to ensure your relationship with your neighbours doesn’t become hot and bothered

Sahib Ullah Raj from DAS Law explores the various disputes between neighbours and explains the legal options available.

September 2023
Property disputes Don’t let your private hedge be a hazard to public footpaths

Charlotte Ellis at DAS Law explains how to stay on the “right side of the law” and avoid being a nuisance when it comes to your garden or driveway.

May 2023
Property disputes Airbnb and holiday lettings: What to do with the staycation boom

Bethan Mack, a solicitor at DAS Law, answers the most important questions for existing Airbnb hosts and those thinking of renting out their properties.

April 2023
Property disputes Renting Homes (Wales) Act – What do landlords need to know

The Renting Homes (Wales) Act amendments simplifies how you rent properties. Here are the key changes for landlords.

January 2023
Property disputes Building Safety Act 2022 – Who is responsible for ensuring new properties are safe?

What are the legal responsibilities of constructors and owners under the Defective Premises Act 1972? Who else can be held responsible? Corey Evans, Paralegal at DAS Law, has the answers.

August 2022
Property disputes Renting to friends and family – make sure you’re still friends by the end of the tenancy

Tom Pertaia, Associate at DAS Law, offers guidance on the issues and questions landlords should consider when renting to friends and family.

August 2022
Property disputes Section 21 notices - what the end of “no-fault evictions” could mean

The Renter’s Reform Bill was proposed to improve protection for private renters in England, including the ending of section 21 notices.

June 2022
Property disputes Struggling to pay your rent? Here’s what you need to know

The eviction ban in England and Wales has now been extended further; landlords are not able to legally enforce an eviction order until after these bans have ended.

July 2021
General advice , Property disputes Everybody needs good neighbours. But what can be done if someone refuses to be neighbourly?

What happens when a neighbour’s plant is growing across onto your property? And what can be done if a neighbour’s tree is blocking the light into your garden?

May 2021
Property disputes Landlords – what you need to know about increasing your tenant's deposit

It’s hardly surprising that landlords are considering increasing deposits to reduce their Covid-19 risk. Nevertheless, the Tenant Fee Act limits what you can do with deposits so, as a landlord, what are your options?

February 2021
Property disputes Rent guarantors – what landlords need to know

With landlords increasingly worried about securing their rent income during Covid-19 is requesting a guarantor the answer? Saiful Ahmed, Legal Adviser at DAS Law, tells you what you need to know.

February 2021